Monday, June 11, 2012

Vallana Spanna 2009 Colline Novaresi DOC

In the glass the wine displays a deep cherry color core moving the a narrow dark pink rim.  On the nose the wine offers a hint of mint and pine forest.  On the palate the wine is dry, medium-bodied with soft fined grained tannins and mouth-watering acidity.  The flavors are hints of pepper spice and fresh plum (tart/sour and slight sweetness).  The finish is clean with a short to medium length of lingering hints of fresh plum fruit.  Serve between 55F and 60F.

Wine & Food: Serve with Italian hard cheeses, cured meats, ham and sausage, a Tuscan style antipasto, pasta dishes with a tomato based sauce, meat dishes (beef, veal, lamb as the base ingredient).

Approximate Retail Price: US$16.00

--Review by Kenn Pogash ("the guy wearing the bow tie")

Producer's Comments about Kenn's Tasting Notes:
Dear Kenn, 

I would add the following to the nose: a hint of mint and pine forest, cherry and floral notes of violet.

I love the comment on the tannins and the mouth watering acidity!

I agree for all the rest a part from the tomato based sauce for the pasta: I would rather suggest something like a ragout, where there is a hint of tomato but not so "evident" on the taste. To my personal taste, I think that tomato based sauces tend to taste better with something "rounder" like a bonarda dell'Oltrepo', a Frejsa or a beaujolais nouveau...as most of the times I think that the acidity of the tomato needs something "sweet" in the wine...but then may be Italian tomatoes are generally more acidic than the FABULOUS NJ tomatoes??
Let me know your thoughts!
Ciao, Marina

I agree on everything

No comments:

Frugalpac reports surge in demand for paper bottle I love to hike in the mountains or forests, walk in the woods, and relax in nature. Somet...