Friday, May 18, 2012

Pellegrini Family Vineyards Cloverdale Ranch Merlot 2006 (Alexander Valley, Sonoma)

Appearance: Looking from the top the wine is bright with a deep cherry color that is almost opaque. There could be some bluish highlights. Looking from the side there are broad, slow moving legs/tears that allow me to guess the wine has a 13.5%ABV or higher. At an angle the wine displays a deep cherry red core with a slight transparency moving to a dark pink rim.

Nose: There is a medium intensity of ripe black fruit with elusive and fleeting hints of leather, black cherry, vanilla and mint. All of these seem to move in and out of focus. Going back to the wine a 3rd time I seem to pick up a floral scent. (Not sure if I am imagining all these aromas but it sure keeps my interest).

Palate: The wine is dry with a medium body, medium acidity, with medium(+) fine grained tannins. The flavors are a fleeting sweet ripe spiced black cherry or blackberry fruit with hints of vanilla and dry hot cocoa mix. There is no indication of alcohol burn. (14.1%ABV).

Finish/Length: Clean with a medium(++) length of lingering ripe cherry and a hint of cedar. The wine continues to keep my interest because I keep thing I am missing another flavor.

Conclusion: This is an excellent quality example of an Alexander Valley, Sonoma Merlot. It is balanced in all the aspects. It is interesting that the wine met my expectations in all spheres because I thought it was going to be an absolute fruit bomb, which it is not. At a retail price of about US$24.00 it is an wonderful value. This wine drink now or over the next 6 to 12 months but this drinkability assessment, as with the maturing of all wines, depends upon many variables including storage.

Producer Notes: I received the following response to the winemaker requesting comments about my tasting notes above. Hi Kenn,Your tasting notes are right on. 2006 was a pretty cool year in ALV. The CLoverdale Rach is actually at the norther tip of the valley so it is quite warm up there. I think the 06 Merlot and Cab benefitted from a slightly cooler growing season that year. I pick up a lot more spice and menthol characters than in previous, warmer years which lend themselves to a much more complex wine. Hope your group likes the wine! I certainly enjoyed making it. Daniel Fitzgerald, Pellegrini Family Vineyards

No comments:

Frugalpac reports surge in demand for paper bottle I love to hike in the mountains or forests, walk in the woods, and relax in nature. Somet...